Articles les plus consultés

vendredi 13 juillet 2018

PEDESTRIANS AND DRIVERS : FRIENDS OR FOES?





It is well-known that pedestrians and drivers usually don't get on well. Quite often the same people, but not the same behaviour, depending which side of the windscreen they are.

As a pedestrian, I am quite strict about my rights, and I happen to be rather rude when they are not respected. I know it's no use, but letting off steam sometimes does good!

Last time it happened, I was on my way to a dinner party. I was a bit late, and I guess a bit distracted, as well.
I had already crossed half a busy avenue, when the light turned green, and instead of stepping onto the refuge island, I kept walking toward.
A driver honked his horn at me so loudly that I jumped with fright, stopped dead and then...burnt him with some of the worst insults I know. I won't tell you which ones, but " asshole " or " jerk " are just small potatoes compared to what got out of my angry pedestrian's mouth.


The driver just smiled and waved an apology.

Half-an-hour later when I arrived at the party, the hostess introduced me to a couple of guests, and that's when things went wrong.

" I think we've already met somewhere ", the man exclaimed, " your face is kind of  familiar to me ".

Jeez!!! My knees went weak, my heart skipped beats and I turned as red as a beetroot.
Guess what!!

The driver I had showered with insults was looking at me wrily.

All throughout the dinner I felt uncomfortable, cause whenever our eyes met, I could read my curse words in the man's mocking glance.

When the party was over, he came to me and said  " You have come on foot, haven't you? It's late , my wife and I will give you a lift ".

That guy was really rubbing it in!!

Fortunately my inner pedestrian came for help and I turned down his offer and said :

" Thanks a lot, but I enjoy walking in the streets at night. Far less traffic, far fewer impatient drivers, far fewer honks, you see what I mean, just quietness and peace ".

A bit naughty, but that's the only way I found to dodge the question:  Pedestrians and drivers : friends or foes? ".

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire