Articles les plus consultés

samedi 15 septembre 2018

THE HUNTING QUESTION IS BACK!










September marks the end of school-holidays, but unfortunately, the kick-off of the hunting season, as well.
One more time, every weekend the gunshots nearby or in the far distance will break my  animal-lover's heart and put me on edge.

Yet, as I have an English Springer Spaniel, when I walk him, people often ask me if he goes hunting.
A straightforward  "no" is usually enough to dodge any further questions, but last time a guy asked me about Canaille's hunting outings, I decided to answer "yes", make a prank,  and have fun.

And voilà, the ice was broken. The only thing I had to do then was to satisfy that enthusiastic hunter's curiosity…

Does my dog stay on tracks regardless of the conditions? 
Of course, he does! He is a persistent and determined hunter.

Is he good at flushing out its preys?
Jeez, good?? Are you joking? He is excellent! No way for its prey to hide and escape his nose!

His pointing behaviour?
Perfect! As soon as he has spotted his prey, he won't get sidetracked.

Does he bring back his prey immediately?
Bring it back? Hmm,...actually, he devours it on the spot!

Hasn't he been trained to bring it back?
Well, no, but cookies and biscuits hunting dogs don't need any training, do they?

I was expecting my revelation woud make the man laugh, but he just gawked at me, and then told me pedantically that English Springer Spaniels are born hunting dogs and it is a pity to deprive them of such a game!

A game???  That put me on edge again, and I answered : " My Springer is a lap dog, you know the kind of dogs who chase treats and comfy sofas. He just runs after cuddles, and would never hurt a fly " ( I didn't add that my sweet Canaille is afraid of them!).

That's how my one and only attempt to get on well with hunters ended up!
Sorry if there are hunters among you, but just have a look at the picture below, and think it over…




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire