Articles les plus consultés

samedi 11 août 2018

WONDER AND SERENITY


We often think that we need grand things in life to make us happy, and yet there are so many small things that can bring great joy and make our day. 

Let me give you an example and share with you a pure moment of happiness, a kind of " enchanted interlude ".


Some time  ago I was having breakfast on my terrace, when suddenly a deer came out of the undergrowth, stopped, stared at me, and then, started grazing.





I was thrilled to bits, cause I had not seen her since last February, and, of course I had feared the worst. All throughout the hunting season the gunshots nearby or in the far distance had broken my heart and chipped away my hopes to see Mrs Deer again.





Yet, early July when the first heatwave had swept across the country, and dried the brook running through the garden, I had thought that if by chance Mrs Deer was still alive and paid a visit, offering a drink was the least I could do.
First I had put some bowls of water here and there, but the birds had invested the place to enjoy that unexpected " happy hour " (a kind of reward for their early cheerful chirpping).






Then, Canaille and Ulysse, my dogs, had splashed the water all around, before coming back to thank me for that refreshing break, with quite a few wet paw prints on the floor.



After browing through the Net, I had found out that deers are really mad about salt lick blocks. I had rushed to the nearest farm feed store to get some, and when the cashier had told me that my cows were lucky, cause with that scorching sun he had sold nearly all his stock, I had just smiled politely. I  could not figure out his face if I had told him it was just in case a deer would drop in!




Unfortunately, the salt lick blocks had not attracted Mrs Deer, but just puzzled Ulysse, and terrified Canaille ( but even flies scare him!).

So, you can imagine how excited I was when my dear deer friend turned up.

The blades of grass were not to her taste, and she quickly trotted to the rose bushes and helped herself to two rosebuds which had survived the dogdays.
A few seconds later, she was enjoying the only fig growing on my young fig tree and after chewing two leaves of salad, she looked satisfied with her shopping and left for good.

The budding gardener I am was a bit upset, cause I am really striving to grow flowers, fruit and vegetables, but after all Mrs Deer I had missed so much was still alive, she knew the benefits of eating 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day, she had not forgotten I am a harmless greengrocer, and she had made my day!

So what else could I ask for?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire