Articles les plus consultés

vendredi 27 octobre 2017

MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO DOGSIT













Before getting my own dogs, I used to dogsit a lot, and let me tell you that it is no fun.
Come on, I'm kidding! I mean it's no fun when it comes to giving dogs back to their owners. 
I remember being on the verge of tears when saying good-bye to the doggy I had homed and already bonded with.
When it was a friend's dog, I always respected the deadline to give it back (a friend in need is a friend indeed), but when it was my daughter's, I often tended to procrastinate,... nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

Believe me, post-dogsitting blues is a rough patch to go through, and I experienced it after taking care of Jonasz, a kind of Korthal Griffon who stayed with us a couple of weeks.




And yet, that dog was a heavy load for us...

Yes guys, a heavy load for us, and that is putting it mildly.
Quite surprising, cause he had all the qualities you can expect from a four-legged companion.

He was a friendly and affectionate tail-wagger, a fabulous cuddle-maker, and a perfect guest.

So, what ?

Jonasz was in his early youth, and needed frequent walks to burn his energy, and there was the rub!

Don't get me wrong. We were on a staycation,and we didn't mind cruising the neighborhood as long as he wanted to.
Unfortunately, we were living on the fifth floor, with no lift, and the first time we took Jonasz for a walk, we suddenly realized that he was living in a single storey house, and thus had never experienced the fear of standing on a ledge, looking into a black hole.
He was staring at the flight of stairs, as if about to skydive for the very first time.



He looked so wary and nervous that we quickly decided not to let him fly solo and ...carry him downstairs!

I know, any dog behaviourist would have told us that we were totally wrong, but you see, when you dogsit, you want your guest to feel comfortable.
Anyway, travelling five floors down with a Yorkie, a toy poodle, or even a cocker, is not that difficult, but with a Korthal Griffon, it meant lifting about 19 kilos! Fortunately my friend Maggy had kept him away from yummy table scraps, otherwise the downstairs trip would have been rather hazardous.

Well, actually, Dearhubby turned out to be the only one able to perform such a heavy weight workout four times a day.
As days went by, he got better and better at exercising his biceps.

Then came the time to give our guest back to his owner, and of course, the same old tune again : twinges of sorrow, vain efforts to hold back my tears, a last tummy rub, an ultimate  cuddle, and I handed Jonasz's leash to my friend Maggy who started walking downstairs with ...Jonasz on her heels!!



Scared of the stairs ? Not at all!
Midway to the fourth floor, he turned back, and was it my imagination, or did he really give us a " I played a good trick " wink ?
I don't know, but we had a good laugh, and Dearhubby said he would have to look for another coach to keep his muscle tone!

 Dogsitting a joker didn't dampen my dog addiction, and whenever asked to look after a dog, I have never refused, even though once I should have asked first about the breed, but that's another story...











Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire