Articles les plus consultés

vendredi 15 septembre 2017

NAPPING OR NOT NAPPING



                                       



Hello everybody,


Is it me or do you sometimes feel the yawnings in the early afternoon,too ?
A tad boozy dinner, a restless night, a busy morning, a heavy lunch or just my body-clock all messed up ?
Well, whatever the reason, it seems that suddenly my eyelids get out of control and rule the roost !
According to some health nut gurus, what you need then is a power nap .




I'm sorry, but when you are in your office, rather difficult to snuggle in toilets usually not that roomy, lie down on a photocopier often much coveted (I hope not for the same reason ) or squeeze into a filing cabinet most of the time so dusty that likely to trigger  sneezing fits !

So what ?

Well,when I was working, not to let the need for 40 winks overcome my good upbringing, I used to have an extra caffeine fix before lunch-time.
Not that healthy, I agree, but for me the only foolproof way to kick-start the afternoon.




Unfortunately one day, after a night of partying, I arrived at the office and found out that the coffee-machine was out of order.
" How will you manage to cope with a coffee-free morning ? ", asked a colleague apparently worried about my haggard face.
" Easy peasy ! ", I replied, " I'll just have a mid-morning nap, and for lunch-time I'll be as fresh as a daisy ! Pick me up at 12 and you'll see the benefits of my morning catnap ".

Of course, I was joking, but I knew that my colleague was easily taken for a ride, so when at 12,  I heard a knock at my office door, I quickly laid a thick file flat on my desk, put my forehead on it, and let my right arm flop down as if I had been suddenly struck down by Morpheus.
A second and a third knock didn't make me change my mind. I stayed still and silent, waiting for my friend to open the door and find me sleeping like a log.



Sure, that was a prank she would remember for long, cause I had planned to leap up like a Jack-in-the-box as soon as she touched my shoulder.
Quite likely she would utter a shriek, and then burst out laughing when she realized I had pulled her leg one more time when telling her a few hours before that I would catch up for my sleepless night with a comfy nap !

A last stronger knock, then the door opened , and I could hear footsteps coming briskly towars my desk.
I kept pretending to be soundly asleep, even though I knew a fit of the giggles was on its way !

The sound of silence for a few seconds again...

Jeez, I wouldn't be able to play " The Sleeping Beauty " for long, two can play at that game, sure my friend was playing for time !

When I heard fingers drumming eagerly on my desk, I smelled a rat...




One eyelid up was enough to catch sight of a wedding ring on a pretty big hand.
Damn it, whose hand was it ? Couldn't be my friend's ? She was not married and moreover she had very small hands !

I eventually raised my head and ...in a split second I turned into a pillar of salt. Yes, guys, a pillar of salt !
As petrified and dumbfounded as the department head standing near my desk !

l strived to get myself together,and mumbled that it was a misunderstanding, I was not sleeping, I was just pretending to , to pull out a prank to a colleague.
I was digging myself in deeper, but I had to save my bacon, cause the red flag of an impending dismissal was floating in the department head's eyes. I was in a fix, and not a coffee one, unfortunately !

He let me tie myself in knots for a few minutes, and then said :

" It's high time you woke up and smelled the coffee, Miss Perky ! 

No way to take that literally ! It sounded more like " Are you aware of the situation you are in ? ".

But he didn't let me brood over that kind of warning and continued :

" I thought you were full of beans, but apparently coffee beans are missing today ! ...Anyway, have the coffee-machine repaired by tomorrow morning, and I promise I won't spill the beans ! ".




That was the first and last time I was caught napping ( sorry , I love puns ).


That's all for this week, guys, cause my eyelids are screaming sleep, so good night, sleep tight and don't forget : 

                                         BE PERKY !












Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire