Articles les plus consultés

vendredi 26 octobre 2018

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE











First off, I must apologize, cause if there are doctors among you, what follows may hurt you, but, please, forgive me! Since what happened "some" years ago, I have eaten humble pie...and an apple a day to keep the doctor away (come on, I'm joking).

Quite true, anyway, that, when younger I didn't trust doctors that much. In my mind they were businessmen first and doctors second.
I even happened to speak ill of them, and that's the snag!
I should have weighed my words cause of eavesdroppers.
I was to regret not thinking twice before speaking…

One day, when I picked up Peter, my four-year-old son, at school, I noticed a red small spot on his forehead. I didn't really pay attention, cause I thought  a mosquito had bitten him during the afternoon nap.
But, one hour later he came into the kitchen with a black felt tip pen in his hand and told me that he had circled all the new spots (jeez!), but that now they were coming out so quickly that he couldn't keep up!
No doubt then, chicken pox was on its way, but to make sure I called for the paediatrician.

Hardy had he rung at the door when I heard a door slam and the sneaky noise of a bolt.
Gosh!! Peter had locked himself in the bathroom! 
Five minutes later I had to face the facts : my stick and carrot strategy to make him go out was totally vain!

Then, the paediatrician told me to let him manage, because he was used to frightened children.
Well, of course, he was! After all, he was a paediatrican, he had the know-how!

He knocked at the door and said :

" Hi, Peter. That's me, Doctor A. Mum has told me that you've got plenty of naughty itchy spots. If you get out, I'll give you something to get rid of them ".

A few seconds later, my son's resolute voice came through the door, and what we heard made me awfully uncomfortable.

" I won't go out ", he said, "Mummy often says that doctors are just quacks! ".

I was so ashamed that the only thing I could do was to laugh nervously.

When my son heard me laugh, he wanted to know why and opened the door slowly , came out and so, cleared up the awkward situation he had put me in!

Doctor A. was quick-witted. He looked at me and said :

" I don't share your opinion about doctors,  but what I know is that laughter is the best medicine".




And you? What do you think about doctors?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire